Monday, March 10, 2008

The Power of Perhaps

Several years ago, having just started my first real job at a major communications company as an engineer, I realized that my education was not really what got me the job. 


I studied hard and enjoyed most of my coursework on my way to my beloved degree.  I thought I had learned enough to run a space station or single handedly operate the world's communication networks; however, after the first two weeks in my small six by six cubicle, I came to the understanding that I knew practically nothing at all about anything.  With my brain feeling like a ball of wet spaghetti, I pondered why I spent so much time learning things that had absolutely nothing to do with anything.  It took a great deal of on-the-job-training for me to be the engineer I was expected to be. 


Somewhere along the way I figured out that higher education is not about teaching people everything they will ever need to know about their chosen field of study.  Rather it is dedicated to teaching people to think on a higher level.  A person who graduates with an Associates has proven his or her ability to "think and perform" on an Associates level of education; likewise, a person who holds a doctorate has proven a much higher level of thinking and performance. 


Photobucket


Harvard, Yale, Rice and other schools of high regard are dedicated to a single purpose. While most think of money, that must be number two. More importantly, these institutions are focused on the task of teaching people to think.  If an individual can be taught that perhaps they have not seen everything, then it is possible they can imagine that there is more. 


We as humans have learned that we will only go as far as we can imagine ourselves to go. The scientist works hard to expand his thinking to allow for more opportunities and possibilities, while the attorney will try with everything he has to see every possible angle of his case.  The inventor tries with all his might to think beyond the invented to find a place of possibility. 


Just as we understand the only way to move forward and expand our horizons is to allow an environment for open thought and the next new great idea, we see the opposite mindset will condemn us to settle for much less than is possible. 


The power of perhaps has fueled the search to move forward since the world began. Virtually everything that has been gained in this earth has come through the simple yet profound power of perhaps. 


My mind goes to a young man who was a son of a great king of the children of Israel, Jonathan. The heavy hand of the Philistine army had taken its humiliating toll. No mighty warriors were attempting to do anything about the dire situation. It was an unfortunate day. The Bible tells us that there were no swords to be found in all of Israel—except with king Saul and his son Jonathan. I cannot imagine how these men allowed this type of situation to overtake them; nevertheless, it had.  


Photobucket


Then seemingly out of nowhere the thought struck Jonathan:  Perhaps Jehovah will work for us today, and the Power of perhaps began to drive his every move.  At the end of that particular day, there was a great victory celebrated within the camp and the rule of the Philistines had been broken—by the power of perhaps


There is a power made available to us when we allow ourselves to ponder the concept of possibility.  It is not about our human ability to think, nor is it found anywhere else within us.  It is found when we allow ourselves to think that perhaps the almighty God could go to work for us.  Perhaps today God will work a miracle for me. Perhaps today God will provide for my need.  Perhaps God can change the course of my life.  Perhaps….


The Bible clearly states, we have not - because we ask not.  Perhaps he will provide if we can conceive within our minds that He will.  For my God's able to do exceedingly abundantly and above all I can ask or think... so perhaps he is big enough!


I submit to you today that the concept of "Perhaps" can be a powerful proposition in the hands of my God. 


.


No comments: